Some cuts are off by a frame when exporting

Post your questions about Openshot here.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

Some cuts are off by a frame when exporting

Postby openshotter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:12 pm

I've been using OpenShot 1.4.3 for years now and it's not perfect but has certainly done the job for every one of my editing projects so far. However, this time, I have a bit of an issue that I cannot find a quick fix for.

I've been working on this project which requires frame-precise cutting and thousands of cuts. After nearing the 17-minute mark, with a project size of about 250KB, I decided to export the progress so far and continue in another file to get around the issue of OpenShot slowly becoming less and less responsive. The exported video has this issue, which is that some cuts are a frame off from where they were inside the editor and I cannot easily fix this.

I don't know what else to put here, so here's some video encoding information:

Input
Resolution: 720x576
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 16:15
Video Codec: H.264
Frame Rate: 25/1
Audio Codec: AC3 (DVD pass-thru)

Output
Same stuff but with AAC, 2 channels.
openshotter

Re: Some cuts are off by a frame when exporting

Postby marianomarini » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am

Being frame rate 25f/1s you need to cut the clip at a 0,04sec multiplier. (Each frame is 0,04 second).
So you can go to clip-properties and set it accordingly into length tab. (Start and End point).
I'm not sure this will solve your problem, any way is it a good practice to follow.
marianomarini
The voice of Experience

Postby openshotter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Since I've been cutting using the tool at specific frames, they're already multipliers of 0.04 seconds. :/

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
openshotter

Postby openshotter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Okay, I've tried using the raw MLT thing instead, and it's often off by 2 frames, so I think I'll just use something other than Handbrake to rip my source material from DVDs, perhaps this dvd::rip program I've used in the past which exports as AVIs. They rarely have issues.

Will probably continue using MLT as, although it's more difficult to use, it's enough for the simple task I need it for and more suitable for larger projects.

Anyway, it wasn't Openshot's fault after all. Possibly Handbrake, possibly FFMPEG, I have no idea.
openshotter

Return to General questions & help