After some stability, constant crashing

Post your questions about Openshot here.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

After some stability, constant crashing

Postby Rory » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello,

I'm a long time ubuntu user but only recently got a laptop with sufficient power to edit video. I'm not just editing simple travel photos, or anything, I do creative editing involving a lot of effects and transitions. The computer is a Toshiba x870-025, I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on a partitioned drive with windows 7.

I edited a video for roughly 8 non-consecutive hours using the program and it was fine. Then it started crashing after every two to three changes. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason other than it crashes excusively when I'm working in the timeline. It doesn't freeze or anything, it simply closes and when reopened is saved to the last autosave. It got to the point where I could do one thing, it would crash, I'd open it and play the change, adjust the change and it would crash again.

I looked around this forum, launchpad and google and tried some fixes. I have followed the instructions here regarding dependencies: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=758. The first time I did it, Openshot stopped opening at all. So uninstalled it and installed again, reran that protocol and it wasn't effected.

I finished that last project through many many crashes. I wondered if it was just the complexity of the project so I started a new, simpler, project. Now, after two transitions, two tracks and maybe 5 cuts, it is back to crashing frequently when I work in the timeline.

Any ideas left to try?

(crossposting to launchpad)
Rory

Re: After some stability, constant crashing

Postby Rory » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openshot/+bug/1155707 here is the bug report. A bit more detail I forgot to add: 32 bit
Ubuntu 12.10
ppa installed
Openshot 1.4.3

(I think it's ppa installed. I honestly don't remember because I've done so much installing on the new comp this week.)
Rory

Postby Cenwen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Strange. If I said you that Openshot is pretty stable, you don't believe me. :shock:

Try to update your version of MLT (see this FAQ: https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+faq/1861),even I don't know which one are you using currently (see this FAQ :https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+faq/2197)

After, it will be interesting to know what's happen when a crash comes. Could you run it in a console ?
Le jour où j'ai découvert le libre, j'ai su que je ne reviendrai jamais en arrière
Mon blog sur le multimédia, la photo et Openshot : http://linuxevolution.wordpress.com/
Google+ : https://plus.google.com/u/0/111472725110173916234/posts
Cenwen

Postby Rory » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:53 pm

It does seem like most people have found it to be stable which is why I broke down and posted.

I'm afraid I'm good at following directions, but don't necessarily know my way around all this stuff all that well. How would I check my MLT and the other data requested? It was excluded only because I wasn't sure how to get the info to fill in the FAQ's format.
Rory

Postby Rory » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:28 pm

I just realized I actually did run that MLT code prior to posting this. It didn't change the behaviour.
Rory

Postby Pepisolo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:24 am

Hi Rory

I'm a complete newb to Openshot editing and even editing in general, but I was experiencing very similar problems to you using Linux Mint which is a derivative of Ubuntu, I believe. The program would crash roughly a third of the time I tried to use the slider, and also occasionally while doing other stuff like editing, rewinding etc. This was very curious as other projects seem to work ok with far, far less crashes. I somehow came up with the idea that it might be problems Openshot (or the library MLT is it?)was having with my video's codec, I think I got some ideas from this forum. Basically, what worked for me, was changing the codec of the video files I use for editing. The crashes seemed to be occurring while the codec was DX50 (I think) so I converted that to ... I actually can't quite remember, I think it was h264. I'll edit this post some time if I was wrong about the codec. After I'd converted my raw editing footage over to h264(probably) leaving the same cuts in place, it started working much more smoothly and rarely crashed. The timings of the cuts were slightly off, so I had to redo those, but it saved the project. In future I'll probably be sticking with the same codec for any projects. So, yeah, not sure, but it might a codec problem. Hey, I'm no expert, though. Just thought I'd chime in as your problems seemed very similar to my own. Cheers!
Pepisolo

Postby Cenwen » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 am

@Pepisolo
The major issues that we have come from MLT and the Timeline (GTK developper (cairo) and python support for cairo). HImself, Openshot is very stable. I/we know that thoughts for the common user who, him, think that Openshot is not stable.
To resolve that (and not only that of course), we have create our own library called Openshot and we are going to implement another solution which will be very very efficient whatever you 'll use and put on it. :o And for ever. :lol:

After, if you are using Ubuntu (send me the model of bug report of the FAQ 2197 :( ), you must know that it is a snapshot for each project. However, each project don't stop to live and progress between this snapshot. New features and bug corrections are include via a PPA. Likewise for external and essential dependencies like for us MLT. Unfortunately, Until recently and especially the serie 0.7.x (and a bit the 0.8.x) a lot of bugs were in this release including in the last version of Ubuntu. Therefore some people have had a lot of problems with (crashs, render,...). All this issues, don't help us and for the user, it is the fault of Openshot. I hope that my explanations are enough clear. :roll:

@Rori
If you want to have some help, you must give us some essential informations who are in the model of the FAQ 2197. How can I help you if I don't know nothing. :cry:
Like this, we'll know exactly how is your configuration now.
Le jour où j'ai découvert le libre, j'ai su que je ne reviendrai jamais en arrière
Mon blog sur le multimédia, la photo et Openshot : http://linuxevolution.wordpress.com/
Cenwen

Postby Rory » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 pm

@cenwen As I was saying before, I don't know where to get most of the information in that form. I gave the information I knew how to find.

@pepsiolo It sounds similar. I'll give it a shot. Thank you.
Last edited by Rory on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory

Postby Pepisolo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 pm

@ cenwen

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to the using Openshot with the new library. Should be great. I have tried to install the very latest version (development build) of Openshot by PPA, but I couldn't manage it. I have no need at the moment, though, as my crashes have stopped since I changed the codec of my raw footage. Thanks.
Pepisolo

Postby Cenwen » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:08 pm

I have no need at the moment, though, as my crashes have stopped since I changed the codec of my raw footage. Thanks.

Sounds good. :D

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to the using Openshot with the new library. Should be great. I have tried to install the very latest version (development build) of Openshot by PPA, but I couldn't manage it.

Like Openshot will be re-build (a lot of change), I will advice you to use the bzr version (in fact it will be the same than in the Daily PPA) but like this you could keep a stable version (like now) and use a dev version (just in running the binairy file)

Just one last word. I have introduced the model of bug report recently, in the purpose to find better bugs that we could have soon. And it is by the same way to find them at present with MLT too.

Thanks.
Cenwen

Postby Pepisolo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:06 am

@Cenwen

Thanks for the info, I might try running a stable and development build some time as you suggest.
Pepisolo

Postby XXLRay » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:37 am

I have already reported multiple crashes for complex projects, too. This has not changed although I use the bzr version and melt 0.8.8 (all stated in the bug reports). I am not sure whether this will still be an issue with the new library but can't you capsule the external functionality in a way that not the complete program crashes?
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby Rory » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Where in my system can I find this info?

Revision used (if any) :
MLT version:
FFmpeg version :
FFmpeg installation :
Rory

Postby XXLRay » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Enter into the command line
Code: Select all
openshot --version
melt --version
ffpmeg --version
which ffmpeg
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby Rory » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Thank you XXLRay

Reporter : Moi
Architecture: 32 bit
Plateform: Linux
Operating System : Ubuntu
Version OS : 12.10
New installation or update : new
Installation Method : I can't recall but maybe PPA
Version of Openshot installed : 1.4.3
MLT version: 0.8.8 (it also felt the need to let me know that LASPDA were not found)
FFmpeg version : Apparently not installed. Should I?
Rory

Postby Cenwen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 pm

@rory
You could use this FAQ for this task : https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+faq/2245

@XXLRay
Yes we are aware and already spoken between us about that. We are looking forward with our improve on the timeline/GTK3 and Libopenshot which will remove a lot of bugs related to MLT like those. By the way, it will remove pygoocanvas too.

One word about the next milestone ;
We are putting a lot of things for the future of the project. All this stuff will be in the bazaar branch, not sure that will be automatically in the daily PPA, at least at the beginning. But all that is just supposition. Usually, it should be in. Wait and See.
Until now, you have nothing in the daily PPA different that you have in the stable PPA. After KickStarter we will pass to the phase 2 but you'll now more soon. At the phase 3, we will begin the dev.
Cenwen

Postby Rory » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Thank you cenwen.

Kernel
------
Linux rory-Qosmio-X870 3.5.0-26-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 8 23:20:06 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Architecture
------
i686

OS Version
------
Ubuntu 12.10

ffmpeg Version
------
infoshoot.sh: 18: infoshoot.sh: ffmpeg: not found

openshot Version
------
openshot 1.4.3-1

ffmpeg Version
------
ffmpeg

melt / mlt Version
------
No LADSPA plugins were found!

Check your LADSPA_PATH environment variable.

Version libreria MLT
------
ii libmlt++3 0.8.8-0ubuntu0~sunab~quantal1 i386 MLT multimedia framework C++ wrapper (runtime)
ii libmlt-data 0.8.8-0ubuntu0~sunab~quantal1 all multimedia framework (data)
ii libmlt5 0.8.8-0ubuntu0~sunab~quantal1 i386 multimedia framework (runtime)

Version libreria libav
------
ii libavahi-client3:i386 0.6.31-1ubuntu2 i386 Avahi client library
ii libavahi-common-data:i386 0.6.31-1ubuntu2 i386 Avahi common data files
ii libavahi-common3:i386 0.6.31-1ubuntu2 i386 Avahi common library
ii libavahi-core7:i386 0.6.31-1ubuntu2 i386 Avahi's embeddable mDNS/DNS-SD library
ii libavahi-glib1:i386 0.6.31-1ubuntu2 i386 Avahi GLib integration library
ii libavahi-gobject0:i386 0.6.31-1ubuntu2 i386 Avahi GObject library
ii libavc1394-0:i386 0.5.4-1 i386 control IEEE 1394 audio/video devices
ii libavcodec-extra-53:i386 6:0.8.5ubuntu0.12.10.1 i386 Libav codec library
rc libavcodec53:i386 6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1 i386 Libav codec library
ii libavdevice53:i386 6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1 i386 Libav device handling library
ii libavformat53:i386 6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1 i386 Libav file format library
ii libavutil-extra-51:i386 6:0.8.5ubuntu0.12.10.1 i386 Libav utility library
rc libavutil51:i386 6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1 i386 Libav utility library
Rory

Postby Cenwen » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:35 pm

To the side of MLt, you have the last version. :shock:

I don't understand why you don't have a return for FFmpeg. Did you use avconv instead of FFmpeg ?
Cenwen

Postby Rory » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Cenwen wrote:To the side of MLt, you have the last version. :shock:

I don't understand why you don't have a return for FFmpeg. Did you use avconv instead of FFmpeg ?

Apparently not.

rory@rory-Qosmio-X870:~$ avconv --version
The program 'avconv' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libav-tools
Rory

Postby hvdwolf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:44 am

And what do you get if you run
ffmpeg
or