Render Quality - Missing Codec In Ubuntu?

Post your questions about Openshot here.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

Render Quality - Missing Codec In Ubuntu?

Postby jer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Years ago I strung together several .mov clips into a single .mov file using OpenShot on Ubuntu. I'm needing to use a clip from that file in a new project.

When I create the clip and render it, it is badly aliased (jagged appearance of diagonal lines).

The render profile is an exact match to the original (NTSC 29.97). When I compare the codecs of the original to the rendered in VLC they are the same. I have tried all related export settings (targets, profiles, video formats and video codecs) all of them produced the same aliasing.

The Original plays correctly (not aliased) in VLC. The Rendered Clip is aliased in both Windows and Ubuntu.

This Ubuntu install is a "roll your own" - so I'm thinking I don't have the correct codecs installed.

The command "melt mymovie.mov" works. "frei0r-plugins" are installed. I installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras" - but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.

The command "ffmpeg mymovie.mov" does not work. I know ffmpeg, gstreamers and the good/bad/ugly sets are not installed.

I'm not wanting to install anything on this machine that's not necessary (hence 'roll your own'). I only have the one .mov file and the rest I'm able to render fine - so I'm not wanting to "throw the book at it" and install everything under the sun.

So I thought I'd ask here - does anyone know the exact package to install to get the same .mov rendering quality as the original?

---------------------------------------------------

Ubuntu 17.04

OpenShot 1.4.3
Latest available in repo. I did try the new OpenShot and had problems with crashing and effects working properly. I haven't had any problems with 1.4.3.

Original .mov (rendered is same)
Codec: MPEG-4
Resolution: 720x480
Frame rate: 29.97
Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV
jer

Return to General questions & help