Why did an ogv screencast get "fuzzy"?

Questions or tips about installing Openshot from distribution packages, source code or building packages.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

Why did an ogv screencast get "fuzzy"?

Postby dkarr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 am

I used "RecordMyDesktop" on an Ubuntu VM to record a screencast. I viewed the resulting ogv file on multiple platforms, and it rendered in very good quality, pretty much indistinguishable to what I saw on the original screen.

I then used openshot 1.4.3 on CentOS7.2 to import that video into a track, along with one sample svg in another track. I generated a video from that in ogg/vorbis format. I selected "High" quality.

The resulting video was uniformly "fuzzy", on all the platforms I viewed it.

What can I do to ensure that the resulting edited video is as high quality as the original recording?
dkarr

Re: Why did an ogv screencast get "fuzzy"?

Postby beats » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:32 am

reencoing input video as mp4 using ffmpeg as far as I can remember ;)
beats

Postby dkarr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:04 am

Could you elaborate, please?

You're saying that openshot uniformly imports all video files using ffmpeg using mp4 format, which you're implying inherently degrades quality?
dkarr

Postby XXLRay » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:17 am

My experience is that RecordMyDesktop doesn't encode properly. So my solution is to use ffmpeg to re-encode it.
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby dkarr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:55 pm

The ffmpeg people told me that reencoding wouldn't make any difference.

Note that when I created the OpenShot project, the "Project Profile" I used was "DV/DVD NTSC". Would a different choice result in better resulting video quality/resolution? I see dozens of choices in that list. I see that some of them refer to resolution differences (720 vs. 1080), so if this really makes a difference, I would suppose 1080 would make more sense than 720, but I don't know what resolution is implied by "DV/DVD NTSC". Besides the obvious "720 vs. 1080" variations, there are many other variations the impact of which I'm unfamiliar with.
dkarr

Postby dkarr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:01 pm

It does appear that making different selections in the "Video Profile" field on "Export Video" make a big difference. Understanding the numerous variations and their impact is the next challenge. The OpenShot doc is pretty useless in this regard, as it just says that you need to understand ffmpeg.
dkarr

Postby XXLRay » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:07 pm

XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Return to Installation