OpenShot does not start, gives no error message

Questions or tips about installing Openshot from distribution packages, source code or building packages.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

OpenShot does not start, gives no error message

Postby in0giro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 pm

ahoy all,

i am trying to install the 1.2.2 OpenShot ebuild on Gentoo found here:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/283673

it builds and installs cleanly. however, when trying to start the application, nothing happens. the first run in a terminal gives this output:

Code: Select all
$ openshot
--------------------------------
   OpenShot (version 1.2.2)

then subsequent runs give a slightly modified message:

$ openshot
   OpenShot (version 1.2.2)
Process no longer exists: 7216.  Creating new pid lock file.

i have been searching the web and this forum for something, but all the other issues usually have a little more to go on. my problem here is that i have no error message.

i have been unable to find a "debug" option, but did modify the OpenShot debug script to run on Gentoo and attached the results. for here, it looks like everything is installed OK.

it also does not seem to be a Gentoo issue, as many are using this ebuild fine.

can anyone shed some light? or at least give me a way to find some more info (log, debug option, etc). thanks in advance.

peace
Attachments
openshot-debug-output.txt
OpenShot debug script output
(4.7 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
in0giro

Re: OpenShot does not start, gives no error message

Postby Cenwen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi,
Just a thought.
Try to remove the folder hidden .openshot by
rm .openshot

Another thing. It seems that you use the version 0.5.10 of MLT, it should be benefit if you use the 0.6.0 (or the 0.6.2 which is a minor version)
Thanks. :D
Le jour où j'ai découvert le libre, j'ai su que je ne reviendrai jamais en arrière
Mon blog sur le multimédia, la photo et Openshot : http://linuxevolution.wordpress.com/
Google+ : https://plus.google.com/u/0/111472725110173916234/posts
Cenwen

Postby in0giro » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Cenwen wrote:Hi,
Try to remove the folder hidden .openshot by
rm .openshot

thanks for the tip, but i had found that suggested in many places and tried it to no avail.

Cenwen wrote:Another thing. It seems that you use the version 0.5.10 of MLT, it should be benefit if you use the 0.6.0 (or the 0.6.2 which is a minor version)

unfortunately, there is no 0.6.x ebuild available for Gentoo yet, and i am not an ebuild builder myself. i will try to simply update the latest ebuild 5.10 to use the 0.6.2 version of MLT and see how it goes... OK, just renaming the ebuild to 0.6.2 built the newest MLT of the same version and installed it fine. melt shows version 0.6.2, however trying to run openshot results in the same thing: no error messages (aside from the message about the PID), quits immediately.

thanks again for the help. any chance you could let me know how to get some debug output?

peace
in0giro

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 am

Can you try playing a file with both ffplay & melt?

Use the syntax:
ffplay filename

melt filename
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby in0giro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:57 pm

ahoy Andy,

thanks so much for the help.

OK, i tried both of your suggestions:

Andy wrote:Can you try playing a file with both ffplay & melt?

Use the syntax:
ffplay filename

melt filename

with both DV and OGV (Theora & Vorbis) files. both videos played fine in ffplay and melt. the only possible error i see in the terminal output is:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

however, the audio was fine on both videos, synced and normal (i have Pulse Audio running).

just in case, here is the terminal output for ffplay:

FFplay version 0.6, Copyright (c) 2003-2010 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Jan 29 2011 13:06:39 with gcc 4.4.4
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-static --enable-shared --cc=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc --disable-debug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-libfaac --enable-nonfree --enable-libdc1394 --disable-indev=v4l --disable-indev=oss --disable-outdev=oss --enable-x11grab --enable-pthreads --enable-libgsm --enable-libfaad --enable-libdirac --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libvpx --enable-libopenjpeg --disable-vdpau --disable-vdpau --disable-altivec --disable-amd3dnow --disable-amd3dnowext --cpu=core2 --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-postproc --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --disable-stripping --enable-hardcoded-tables --disable-doc
  libavutil     50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1
  libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2
  libavformat   52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2
  libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
  libavfilter    1.19. 0 /  1.19. 0
  libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0
  libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
Input #0, ogg, from 'Auto-Tune the Guild_ Season 3 Recap by The Gregory Brothers.ogv':
  Duration: 00:03:24.13, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 452 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: theora, yuv420p, 480x270 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 29.97 tbn, 29.97 tbc
    Stream #0.1: Audio: vorbis, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 80 kb/s
    Metadata:
      ENCODER         : ffmpeg2theora-0.27
      SOURCE_OSHASH   : d977d3a736862d1b
   6.29 A-V: -0.019 s:0.0 aq=  320KB vq= 1477KB sq=    0B f=0/186   0/0   

and for melt:

+-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
|1=-10| |2= -5| |3= -2| |4= -1| |5=  0| |6=  1| |7=  2| |8=  5| |9= 10|
+-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
|               H = back 1 minute,  L = forward 1 minute              |
|                 h = previous frame,  l = next frame                 |
|           g = start of clip, j = next clip, k = previous clip       |
|                0 = restart, q = quit, space = play                  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
Current Position:        213

thanks again. if you have some more suggestions, i would really appreciate it, as i have yet been able to start OpenShot once with the past few versions.

peace
in0giro

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 pm

In that case maybe there is a missing dependancy. Check here:

http://openshotusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=372

The package names in that list are for Ubuntu, but hopefully you can work them out for your distribution.
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby Cenwen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:20 pm

I am nearly sure that his problem comes of his version of libsdl certainly libsdl1.2debian-alsa instead of libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio so it is really a problem of dependencies. Check well all of them. :D
Le jour où j'ai découvert le libre, j'ai su que je ne reviendrai jamais en arrière
Mon blog sur le multimédia, la photo et Openshot : http://linuxevolution.wordpress.com/
Cenwen

Postby in0giro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Andy wrote:In that case maybe there is a missing dependancy. Check here:

http://openshotusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=372

The package names in that list are for Ubuntu, but hopefully you can work them out for your distribution.

thanks for the reply. i went through each package listed there and found the corresponding Gentoo ebuild (i.e. package) with my current versions:

media-libs/x264-0.0.20101029
    media-video/ffmpeg-0.6
    dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r1
    dev-lang/python-3.1.2-r4
    dev-python/pyxdg-0.19
    dev-python/pygtk-2.17.0
    dev-python/pygoocanvas-0.14.1
    x11-libs/goocanvas-0.14
    media-libs/mlt-0.6.2
    media-plugins/frei0r-plugins-1.1.22-r1
    media-sound/sox-14.3.1
    gnome-base/librsvg-2.26.3
    media-libs/libsdl-1.2.13-r1

aside from slight version differences (where the Gentoo version is usually more recent), i have all the dependencies listed there. also, the original Gentoo ebuild for OpenShot pulls these in. since that ebuild seems to be working for some people, this is not a surprise:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/283673

thanks for the help again, but it seems like i have all dependencies installed.

i know i keep asking this (and have not found an answer elsewhere in the forums, so maybe the answer is no), but is there a way to get more details or debug info or a run log of what OpenShot is doing when it simply quits almost immediately after starting?

peace
in0giro

Postby in0giro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Cenwen wrote:I am nearly sure that his problem comes of his version of libsdl certainly libsdl1.2debian-alsa instead of libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio so it is really a problem of dependencies. Check well all of them. :D

when i saw your post, i thought "BINGO"!!! however, my libSDL is installed with both ALSA and PulseAudio bindings (in Gentoo, there is not a separate package, but just different USE flags or options that change how the package is built; in my case, both the PulseAudio and ALSA SDL drivers are installed because of my USE flag settings). i tried reinstalling SDL it without ALSA bindings, for both the stable (1.2.13-r1) and unstable (1.2.14-r5) versions. no matter what, OpenShot does the same thing: terminates immediately after the messages as i posted at the top of this thread.

thanks again for the help. hopefully someone has some other ideas, or at least a way i can get more info about why OpenShot is terminating immediately.

peace
in0giro

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 pm

There is currently no other way of getting any debug info from running Openshot normally.

One way you could do it, and it depends on how comfortable you are with programming tools, is to use a Python IDE, such as WIngware or Eclipse and step through the code and find where it falls over.

Do you have the python-mlt bindings, I can't see them in your list?

One other idea is the version of libcairo. Some people on Ubuntu had a problem where they had updated libcairo (a dependency of goocanvas) from a PPA, with the result being that the version of cairo no longer matched the python bindings.
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby Cenwen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:51 pm

i know i keep asking this (and have not found an answer elsewhere in the forums, so maybe the answer is no), but is there a way to get more details or debug info or a run log of what OpenShot is doing when it simply quits almost immediately after starting?

I am not sure that it is the solution for you, but it is a thing to try.
You could try to launch Openshot with Gdb and see if you have something in output.
You must install the dgb version of your python version (I think for you python2.6-dbg). AFter un the program under dgb and wait for the problem. And after see if you have something in the output. It is working like this :
gdb python
(gdb) run openhsot.py

Think to put all the process.
When you have finished, and for quit the process, type Ctrl + D in your keyboard.
I don't know if you will have something in the output but it is something to try. :o :D
Cenwen

Postby in0giro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:35 pm

Cenwen wrote:You could try to launch Openshot with Gdb and see if you have something in output.
You must install the dgb version of your python version (I think for you python2.6-dbg). AFter un the program under dgb and wait for the problem. And after see if you have something in the output. It is working like this :
gdb python
(gdb) run openhsot.py

Think to put all the process.
When you have finished, and for quit the process, type Ctrl + D in your keyboard.
I don't know if you will have something in the output but it is something to try. :o :D

thanks again for the help. though i have not had time yet to step through the code, when running OpenShot in gdb, i got the following clue:

(gdb) run /usr/bin/openshot
Starting program: /usr/bin/python2.6 /usr/bin/openshot
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
   OpenShot (version 1.2.2)
Process no longer exists: 15878.  Creating new pid lock file.

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007fffef16a702 in uuid_generate_time () from /lib/libuuid.so.1

that library is from the util-linux package on Gentoo, but from the libuuid1 for Debian/Ubuntu. i have util-linux-2.17.2, with libuuid.so.1.3 installed, while the libuuid1 in karmic is 2.16-1ubuntu5.1, also with a libuuid.so.1.3. i am not sure if karmic is the version of Ubuntu that is needed by OpenShot, but the versions seem to be compatible.

i tried reinstalling the libuuid library, but still the same error, i.e. the segmentation fault with libuuid.

does this ring any bells? when i get some more time i will try a step through debugger and get more particulars.

thanks again.
in0giro

Postby nixnine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:04 pm

I am having the same problem. I tried to install mlt .0.6.2 when everything when crazy. This is the error I get:
OpenShot (version 1.3.0)
Process no longer exists: 16495. Creating new pid lock file.
No formats or codecs were found. Please check the OpenShot preferences and configure the 'melt' command name.
state saved
Segmentation fault
nixnine

Postby nixnine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 pm

I've reinstalled everything but still the problem persists. I assume it was something that I did trying to upgrade mlt. But I've reinstalled all the files associated with that and melt. I'm very troubled because I love using openshot. I can so without the smooth scaling, but I need the program back.

I am using Linux Mint 9, BTW.
nixnine

Postby nixnine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 am

I discovered the problem. Well, the solution, anyway. What I did was download the dependencies package and installed everything that was there. Then when I started Openshot, It actually started. So anyway, case solved for now.

Thanks.
nixnine

Postby Cenwen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Interesting feedback so we can have like conclusion (at first look) that when people have this message they miss them some dependencies. :D
Thanks a lot.
Cenwen

MLT

Postby nixnine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Is there a way to install the newest version of MLT from a ppa? I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find one. I am running Mint 9 which is based on Lucid. Is there a way to install MLT on that version of Ubuntu? I did try compiling but did something wrong (see previous posts) and upset everything.

Thanks,
Nix
Last edited by nixnine on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nixnine

Postby Victor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 pm

http://victorschutijser.nl Fotografie en Film
Victor
Forum regular

Re: OpenShot does not start, gives no error message [SOLVED]

Postby in0giro » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:20 pm

ahoy all,

as the one who started this thread, i am glad to say that i can finally run OpenShot 1.3.0 on Gentoo, using the ebuild found here https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283673 and i think the latest update of net-libs/gnutls-2.10.5. after installing that version of gnutls, OpenShot now runs. it could have been some other update, but i think we had tracked the bug down to a segfault in GNU TLS and that update seems to have fixed the issue.

thanks to everyone for all the help and the great application.

peace.
in0giro

Return to Installation