OpenShot's Rotation Effect used with additional software

A place to show off your videos created with Openshot.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

OpenShot's Rotation Effect used with additional software

Postby Bettina Binks » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:31 am

Maybe this video is a bit “samey”, but it may be of interest, in that I did have to make use of several additional bits of free software to make it. I wanted to use OpenShot’s “Rotation” effect for the whole video. But I hit a snag; video tends to be rectangular rather than round, so when the coloured parts of the video were full screen during rotation, you could see the straight edges of the original video frame as diagonal lines. I got round this by rendering the video, playing it back using Parole and capturing it again using “RecordMyDesktop”, but with the area selected on screen being small enough to exclude the edges. It took a few efforts to get the capture region centred. RecordMyDesktop captures everything in the .ogv format, which, possibly because it uses a Long GOP codec, doesn’t seem to work too well in OpenShot. So I then used WinFF to convert it to a format OpenShot is happier with. Since my videos are all bright colours I then used the “Blur" effect and the “Primary Colours” effect (It does include secondary colours like yellow, magenta, and cyan) to clean out any compression noise and blockiness and make everything look all bright and shiny again (a lot of the noise has been reintroduced by uploading to YouTube but I can only assume it would have been even worse had I not cleaned up the original video.) So this is it; even if my video is a bit yawn inducing you may enjoy the surf / garage guitar sound of my friend Gloria’s band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShBAo5 ... e=youtu.be

Thank you if you've read this far!

Fondest regards,

Bettina
Bettina Binks

Re: OpenShot's Rotation Effect used with additional software

Postby XXLRay » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:16 am

Did you try to zoom in for getting rid of the edges from the original video framing?
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby Bettina Binks » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:36 am

Thank you for your reply Mr XXLRay. Yes, that's what I meant. On previous videos (and the one I've made since the one above) I used the "Height", "Width", "X", and "Y" in OpenShot's "Clip Properties" to enlarge the video to conceal the edges of the original video framing. Doing it using the Clip Properties has the advantage of being able to zoom in or zoom out during the clip. But for the video above it was easier to just re-frame the whole thing by recapturing it.

Below is my most recent video which I re-framed using the Clip Properties. It does have the edges of original framing visible in places, but I don't think it's too noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz_Efe8O3Pc
Bettina Binks

Postby XXLRay » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:05 am

Cool - I see.
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Return to Video Showcase