Donations

A place for general fun conversation...no flames please!

Moderators: Cenwen, beats

Donations

Postby Dstil » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 am

Hi there,

I really believe in the idea of "donations" for the survival of the Opensource projects,
especially for projects like Openshot which although they offer much to the community, they do not have an organized support foundation behind them like mozilla Firefox or LibreOffice.

However I find extremely difficut for someone to spot a "donation" button anywhere in the official web site or the forum.

I only got an answer from the user with the name "User" ( :shock: ) about this link: Donations are here:http://pledgie.com/campaigns/13112

Can you please put somewhere vissible a "donation" button?

P.S. Free opesource video editing was the reason for me to come back to Linux after many years. Kdenlive, kino, etc crashed and appeared to have many bugs in my computer, Openshot was the only stable and enough sophisticated to do whatever I wanted!
Great work.
Dstil
Forum regular

Re: Donations

Postby Andy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:51 pm

It's there on the home page at www.openshotvideo.com (over on the right).
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby Dstil » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:48 pm

I really do not understand how I am supposed to do any kind of video editting if I am so blind? :geek: :ugeek: :geek:
Dstil
Forum regular

Postby elijah » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:45 am

Andy wrote:It's there on the home page at http://www.openshotvideo.com (over on the right).

Right you are Ken, but is openshotvideo.com really the homepage anymore?
elijah

UX of the donation process

Postby elijah » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:53 am

@openshotvideo (the community) - Great article on FOSS & donations here --> http://flattrchattr.com/2011/04/20/flattrfoss/

Is it common for FOSS projects to make donate buttons hard to find? What about other non-profits?

On the original domain, http://www.openshotvideo.com, which still points to the blog that started it all, the donations along with a name are listed on the right in a column block, and the user experience to donate is relatively painless + the users get their name displayed on the front page of the project until they are bumped out of queue!

The new design of openshot.org left out this critical piece of ecosystem sustainability goodness and luckily it can always be added back... In fairness, the new design of openshot.org is pretty awesome! And it is actually still on the new openshot.org but is just not as easy to find as it should be. Is it "support" or "support us"? Which one means more to you? Would we get more donations if there were a "donate" link on the top main menu? Why have donations dropped off so much as popularity of the project grows? Why is "donate" at the bottom of the "support" menu and colored green with low contrast making it hard to see? Why is it that if you click support, the sub menu items listed on that landing page are not consistent with the actual submenu or "support"? Should "donate" also be listed on that page since it is a submenu of "support" or should it be a main menu item all by itself? Who makes these decisions and has anyone contacted them about it?

These are all trivial yet gi-normous user experience (UX) elements to be pondered, evaluated and adjusted and done all over again in the continuous life cycle of the site. Maybe a small tweak or two is all that is needed to increase the frequency of donations by ten or even a hundred fold. If the goal of the project is to be sustainable, and right now sustainability is based on resources and right now resources are based on money, then the project needs to acquire monetary resources to survive. Openshot needs money to organize openshot conferences, fund new features so developers can pay their mortgage, to print t-shirts, to make stickers, to fly developers around the world to meet each other and brainstorm new ideas and do code sprints and so much more.

In addition to the fundamental "donate" point being made in this thread, I have started another thread on using the micropayment service Flattr to also accept donations on behalf of OpenShot in addition to Pledgie. Adding Flattr as another layer alongside of Pledgie and upgrading the UX to make donating more visible, more simple and more socially rewarding could make for a v3 donation acquisition stack.
Attachments
Selection_010.png
Original landing page with donation widget block + social recognition/reward feature
Selection_010.png (356.17 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
Desktop 1_009.png
Questions to ask ourselves?
Desktop 1_009.png (201.32 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
elijah

Postby Abilnet » Sun May 01, 2011 10:23 pm

The problem is, in my opinion, that OpenShot -project is split in far to many domains... why just not make it simple and stick in one domain name (what ever it is) ...one place all you need to find, even forum and donate -button etc! ...I'd also had some difficulties in the first time to find, how to donate... what a shame to this Great Project...KISS, please :roll:

Thanks guys for your hard work, appreciated!
Abilnet
Forum regular

Postby punyhuman58 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Hello there. This is a very important program. I have just started using it, and it's invaluable to me as I'm sure it is to many others. But I'm like a troglodyte [no offense intended to true troglodytes] when it comes to paypal, or any organization that wants to link to my bank account, and essentially don't trust them anyway. Does anyone know of some way I can use my prepaid credit card to send donation[s] to the OpenShot project?
punyhuman58

Return to Off Topic