Audio and Video Synchronisation

Topics about the audio side of Openshot.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

Audio and Video Synchronisation

Postby Fingust » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:20 am

Hello,

I have a problem, I was filming a concert of some local band but the audio of my camera was poor. They were also recording the audio. Now I need to sync my videos and their sound.

My main problem is that they were recording audio continually and I was doing clips - each song each clip.

How could I sync. The audio from the ''long'' example 30 min clip to the ''shorter'' video clips example 4 min.
is Openshot capable of doing this ?

I thank you for your suggestions.
Ps. My version is OpenShot 1.4.0

Fingust
Fingust

Re: Audio and Video Synchronisation

Postby Victor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:27 pm

You need to figure out which part of the audio matches the clips. This is, as far as I know, manual work.
You need to find an action on screen, that appears in the audio and in the video (like a clap or drum kick).
Then you can line up the audio with the video files, and mute the audio of the video files.
http://victorschutijser.nl Fotografie en Film
Victor
Forum regular

Postby Fingust » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 am

Are there any visual tools in Open shot for this audio sync? Because doing this on the ear is not so accurate, that one can do if he has a visual ''graph - line with amplitudes'' of the sound.
Fingust

Postby jazzworksweb » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:25 am

I have submitted two feature requests, both of which I think comprise a system that would facilitate this very much, because I to tend to do this kind of thing a lot - record a live music show for example, with three different cameras, then take the sound from the mixing board and go edit it all together after the fact. If OpenShot had more tools to facilitate this kind of thing specifically, I think it could be really amazing and I think there are plenty of people who do this kind of thing and would like such features.

So, I hope you're out there, speak up and or reply to these feature requests to help let the wonderful devs know that these are awesome features that we'd love to have :)

Visual Waveforms for Audio Tracks viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1079
Sync Markers for Aligning Clips viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1080&p=5026
jazzworksweb

Postby Fingust » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Sorry, but I can't find your posts..

Otherwise it would be good to get this visualisation.
Fingust

Postby absolom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 am

I agree completely I am trying to edit together video of a play recorded on 4 camera angles and it is very difficult to get the audio just right without a visual audio track so I can see visually each word.
absolom

Postby jesseakc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:57 pm

This is very important. I plan on filming videos with a separate audio capture device. I have no way to sync the audio to the video without some sort of visualization. I've tried cinelerra but I plan on giving that up. OpenShot is far more stable and actually usable. But this one feature will be a deal breaker for me.
jesseakc

Postby XXLRay » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 am

Version two of Openshot (end of this year) will have the visualized audio.
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby djp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Audio visualization will certailnly help a LOT in manualy synchronizing clips, but what we rilly rilly want is an open-source alternative to PluralEyes.
As luck and synchronicity would have it, such a program may exist, written using pyQT even;
shenidam - a lightweight audio mapper for AV footage (http://shenidam.org/)
and although I don't know how well shenidam works, and haven't yet tried it, I DO know that Openshot needs the function.
djp
Forum regular

Postby ibexslam » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 am

I'm trying to use shenidam. It seems to be exactly what I need for syncing my audio and video. The thing is, I am but a humble grab-it-via-synaptic-and-run-it type of user [ubuntu=linux training wheels?], and my attempt at hacking through the cmake and whatnot I've got nothing but error messages in the terminal up the kazoo. Dependency heck, is that what they call it? I would really like to use this thing. Any tips?

I.
ibexslam

Return to Audio