Rotate movie clips

Post any suggestions for new features in Openshot here.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

Rotate movie clips

Postby Svante » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 am

It would be nice, if it was possible to rotate the imported movie clips. Maybe the function allready exists, be I couldn't find it.

Regards Svante
Svante

Re: Rotate movie clips

Postby hv_francesco » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 am

You have to add a "rotate" effect to the clip, and set a fixed rotation of e.g. 90 on the X axis, then adjust the value for the X offset in order to center the picture on the frame.
Is this more or less what you were looking for?
hv_francesco
Forum regular

Postby Svante » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks - it worked :D
Svante

Postby qubix » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:00 pm

If I put pictures into the video, some need rotation. I just can't get the rotate effect just to show a rotated 90 deg picture in the center of the screen.

What should I type in the rotate effect properties?
qubix

Postby jjfro » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 pm

qubix wrote:If I put pictures into the video, some need rotation. I just can't get the rotate effect just to show a rotated 90 deg picture in the center of the screen.
What should I type in the rotate effect properties?

Based on hv-francesco's tip, I just tried experimenting with this. I can get a picture rotated and centered all right by adding the Rotate effect, setting the Rotate X value to 0 and changing the Fixed Rotate X setting to 270...
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (41.76 KiB) Viewed 33208 times

However, that seems to crop the picture, and no amount of fooling around with the Height, Width, Stretch or Aspect Ratio settings under other tabs seems to be able to compensate for the cropping. So, unless someone can tell me how to get around this, I guess I'd have to resort to rotating the picture in the GIMP first and then importing it into OpenShot.
Jack
OpenShot 1.2.2 on Ubuntu Lucid
jjfro

Postby danellisuk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 pm

After further investigation, I raised bug 807934 https://bugs.launchpad.net/openshot/+bug/807934 which includes a video example of the differing ways this rotation effect is rendered on various versions of Ubuntu.
danellisuk

Postby onewiseguy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:44 pm

I use Openshot quite a bit as I have found it to be the best (simplest and most intuitive) Linux video editing app; however, I am frustrated by the lack of true video rotation. In today's digital age, many people such as myself record video in portrait mode because we are videoing our kids and grandkids and wish to be as close as possible without all the useless space on the side. we record in the vertical because we are taller than we are wide. The rotation feature does not truly rotate the entire video, it rotates the video but keeps the same landscape orientation instead of rotating the entire orientation from landscape to portrait. What this does is effectively cut off the top and bottom portions of the video in order to fit inside the vertical parameters of landscape orientation. I have found very few video editing programs that actually rotate the entire video and change the orientation from landscape to portrait.........and none for Linux. I'm forced to switch to Windows to use an app I have found that actually rotates the orientation of the video (App is called Free Video Flip and Rotate) but the downside is that it reduces the quality and saves it on only .avi format. It would be fabulous if Openshot actually rotated the orientation of the video when selecting to rotate. I've toyed around with x and y axis settings but nothing seems to work but ultimately, a rotation should just rotate the entire orientation of the video without having to go mess with complicated x and y axis settings.
Attachments
Video_Rotater.jpg
Video_Rotater.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 32754 times
onewiseguy

Postby Cenwen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:41 pm

You could do this operation easily.
Select the clip desire to rotate with the right clic.
Open the contextual menu. Go to the section rotate. Here choose the desired (i.e. 90° or 180°) and apply it.
Check with the player, it is done. So Simple, I don't know. :D
Le jour où j'ai découvert le libre, j'ai su que je ne reviendrai jamais en arrière
Mon blog sur le multimédia, la photo et Openshot : http://linuxevolution.wordpress.com/
Google+ : https://plus.google.com/u/0/111472725110173916234/posts
Cenwen

Postby richard » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:34 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I notice that the question hasn't been fully answered.

The OP wants to know how to rotate a video with NO CROPPING.

The first part of the solution is correct. You do the rotating either 90 degrees left or right.

The second part of the solution is not so obvious

You right-click on the clip, hover to "Layout" and then you click "Show All (Distort)". Suddenly the cropped parts are visible all the way to the top and bottom of the video.
richard

Postby XXLRay » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:50 am

Wow - good catch!
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby saegeek » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:27 am

unfortunately the "Show All (Distort)" didn't do the trick. Using the current version 1.4.3 on ubuntu 14.04. Any one with a solid solution please?
saegeek

Postby XXLRay » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:22 pm

Have you tried to zoom in?
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby estatistics » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:47 pm

This is an actual Bug! No True rotation is possible through OpenShot.

CROPPING IS always in every combination of options.

sincerely,
Elias Estatistics eU
estatistics

Postby XXLRay » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 am

Did you try this?:

richard wrote:You right-click on the clip, hover to "Layout" and then you click "Show All (Distort)". Suddenly the cropped parts are visible all the way to the top and bottom of the video.
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby PhilOWantage » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:09 am

Having followed this thread and making all test combinations I've found the same answer from above.

There is no way to prevent cropping.
You may continue taking portrait formatted video, but keep your center of attention in the middle of the video. The top and bottom will be clipped.

It would be nice to have this fixed.
Regards,
Phil
PhilOWantage

Postby milegrin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am

Still an issue; there is NO way to prevent cropping when rotating a video originally shot in portrait; the top and bottom are cropped. I have tried all the options above and a few long shots not mentioned to no avail. With portrait orientated video becoming prevalent this should be high on the list of priorities ...

[*] Thinkpad T540p i7 with 8GB Ram & 350GB SSD
[*] Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 Bit
[*] Openshot 1.4.3
[*] Video originally shot in portrait on Samsung Note3 (Video: H264 MPEG4 AVC 1440x1080 30FPS & Audio: MPEG AAC 48000Hz stereo)

Interestingly enough, VLC plays the original portrait video correctly in portrait without any cropping; should OpenShot not then be able to import the portrait video without auto adjusting it to landscape? This would negate the need to for rotation and the cropping issue to start with; if VLC can do it why can't OpenShot?

I echo Phil's statement; It would be nice to have this fixed.

m

EDIT:
I found a bit of bulky work-around:
Using "Avidemux" I am able to rotate the video file so that it can be imported into OpenShot as a portrait orientated video without being cropped and edit it from there.
Bulky but works till OpenShot can fix the issue.
milegrin

Postby Zer07 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 pm

I read the info of even back into 2011 and still it is not possible to ROTATE smartphone recorded video files. OSVE please!? :roll: :?: But first, a reply from the developers would be nice after all these years. ;)
For readers to help out just google an instant solution in the VLC player or FonePaw VC
Zer07

Return to Feature requests