I beg you! integrate with this for proper slow motion!!!

Post any suggestions for new features in Openshot here.

Moderators: Andy, Cenwen, beats

I beg you! integrate with this for proper slow motion!!!

Postby Dstil » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi to the team!!!

I found what you are missing for proper slow motion: this SUPER project: :o
http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/index.html
do NOT let this discontinue. The guy that created this did it for his bachelor, and he may not continue it without proper support. :ugeek:

Let me explain! :geek:
Currently, the way you offer slow motion is a bit dummy. You actually remove "information".
This way Openshot cannot be used for nice and smooth videos with nice motion-flow in slow motion. When you try to do slow motion, your video becomes smaller and is not very smooth.

The alternative way is to add information. To try to create additional frames in between the existing ones.

This is done by twixtor plugin in the Windows platform for many video editing programs like Adobe's After Effects.
It is very popular nowadays and everybody tries to create smooth videos in slow motion.
Like this one (with twixtor in Windows): http://vimeo.com/34485180

Compare with these ones that are with SlowMoVideo in Linux: http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/videos.html

Please please please...
tell me that you will consider this seriously. Move that also to the launchpad as a request.
Last month I had to ask from a friend of mine to do for me video editing in Windows in order to use the "twixtor".
It was really embarassing :oops: . Please help me !!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do that and there will be no reason to go back to that pre-historic operating system called Windows. :evil:

Thank you!

Edit: I can see that the developer is actually one of the Kdenlive developers. However, from a reply in the kdenlive "mantis" section, seems that he is not very "hot" on fixing the problems of this great program to put it as a plugin in the kdenlive. Not sure why...
But it is still open-source :D . Can you take that code and try adding something to Openshot? I wish I could! :| Nevertheless you can credit him for the initial code.
Dstil
Forum regular

Re: I beg you! integrate with this for proper slow motion!!!

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Yes, I've come across that project before.

Lets see what our new Library is capable of before we start looking elsewhere...
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby Dstil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 am

hhhmmm...what you mean by "new Library" ???

I missed something the last months? I have some time that I had not being logging in the forum to be honest.
Any new features? In which version? :o

P.S. I don't consider to be something negative to "start looking elsewhere". :roll:
This is the power of open-source.
Re-usability. ;)
Dstil
Forum regular

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Openshot currently uses MLT as it's video back-end. A new video library has been developed in the last 8 or 9 months that will bring a lot of new capabilities to Openshot.

Yes, there is nothing wrong in looking elsewhere - but we have to consider the workload on trying to integrate with other libraries or code. The problem with the one you linked to is that it only works with Nvidia cards, so a more generic solution needs to be found.
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby Dstil » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:44 pm

just to mention here that SlowMoVideo is now working not only for nVidia caeds but also for other GPUs.
Plus, in case your GPU is not capable to handle the processing, it can exploit the CPU instead.
http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/index.html

You can use this to transform a video clip in a proper super-slow motion format and then import the clip into Openshot to continue processing.

I was very happy to see that its quality is quite good comparing to commercial alternatives!!! (a clear backround makes things easier...)
Dstil
Forum regular

Postby hvdwolf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:13 pm

I know the project as well. Note however that Granjow is a project member of the Kdenlive team (an it's NOT integrated in Kdenlive either).
Anyway: did you see the blog video regarding the new openshot library? It does exactly what you want. Of course we still have to wait before we can really test it.
hvdwolf
The voice of Experience

Postby djp » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Let me join in the howling for SlowmoVideo, and add a point; that great slow-motion is much more than a bezier-speed-curve away, there is potentially a LOT of interpolation and generated mid-frames, and this gentleman seems to have done a spectacular job of something that is really, really hard to do.
The landscape has matured for openshot, I would urge you (beg!) to have a fresh look and see if this SlowmoVideo project has what it takes to become the Advanced Options of the Clip Properties Speed tab. (please, please, please, please, please!)
djp
Forum regular

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:08 am

There's loads of things we'd love to do, but we only have 2 part time developers on the team. So things like this are unlikely to make it in unless someone else can contribute the time/patches to get it included.
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby XXLRay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:16 pm

I second the request although you might think about having a look at the gimp morph function from gap (gimp animation package).
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby XXLRay » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:52 am

How much money would we have to collect to get this feature realized?
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby djp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 am

interesting question! Would money make a difference? Would feature bounties help?
I like the idea and I would happily contribute towards this and other features.

I believe in Free Software because I'm hooked on the freedom, but I'm happy to pay for specialized software that can in turn earn me money, so I'm ok to spend a couple of hundred bucks over the course of the year, boosting those projects that boost me. That's nothing close to what a typical mac-user pays, or what a typical windows user "steals".

I'm not suggesting Openshot go "commercial" but I AM suggesting that core developers could/ should recieve bounties, donations and flattring.

I'm not sure how much you fellahs realize how important Openshot really is..
djp
Forum regular

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 am

It wouldn't help at the moment - all the focus is on converting OpenShot to use the new library. A lot of this work was funded by the recent Kickstarter, which included some 'extra' bounties, which take us up to the end of the year (if everything goes to schedule). Once that is done we can turn attention to new stuff. So as I said earlier, it's more a question of time than money.

This sounds like the sort of thing that should be integrated at the library level anyway...
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby XXLRay » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 pm

As djp I earn (very very little) money from my videos and would be willing to spend money for certain features to be realized if they boost my videos' quality.
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby djp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Andy wrote:It wouldn't help at the moment - ... it's more a question of time than money.

I'm not surprised there, and I'm sure you guys have your hands full.. it's like performing a skeleton-transplant!
I would be great however, if somehow Openshot development were modularized to the point where work could be going on simultaneously for pet-features, like slowmo, de-shake and exiftool goodies.

Andy wrote:This sounds like the sort of thing that should be integrated at the library level anyway...

Great! How do we learn enough about the current library architecture to contribute constructively?
(as a related question; where is (are) the actual live repository(ies)? lauchpad?)

thanks andy, you rock!
djp
Forum regular

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:56 am

The new library is not in a public repository yet - the intention is to host it on Launchpad soon. It will include full doxygen generated documentation, which will be the main reference.
Andy
Site Admin/Openshot Dev

Postby XXLRay » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm

As I have some background in Java, C, C++ and more I could also try to contribute actively.
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby Dstil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:40 pm

hvdwolf wrote:Anyway: did you see the blog video regarding the new openshot library? It does exactly what you want. Of course we still have to wait before we can really test it.

Hello,

any updates on that? :?:

Let me understand. The new library wil be part of Openshot 2.0 that is funded as a kickstart project? So after Openshot 2.0 will be published we could have this feature? :shock:

As for now I am working with the SlowmoVideo program and is producing fine results (correcting the ghosting artifacts in some cases is not very easy however). My camera that prodices 1080-50fps and 720-100fps video footage helps a lot. The output is then inserted in the penshot timeline. :ugeek:

P.S. I tottaly lost the time window for funding through kickstarter. But I did in the past and I will continue to support you whenever I can through simple donations. Your work is amazing regardeless the lack of this professional-kind of effect.

P.S.2 These fancy effects like slow-motion is taking over the internetz lately. :roll:
Dstil
Forum regular

Postby XXLRay » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Just a side note but the project is now only available as docker container. It can be installed and launched (on Ubuntu 14.04) via the following commands:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install docker
sudo apt-get install docker.io
sudo docker pull titanium/slowmovideo
sudo docker run -u $(id -u):$(id -g) -e DISPLAY=unix$DISPLAY -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix -v ${HOME}/.config:/.config -v ${HOME}/.gtkrc-2.0:/.gtkrc-2.0 -v ${HOME}:/home/${USER} -i -t titanium/slowmovideo:v1 slowmoUI
XXLRay
OpenShot Veteran

Postby Pander » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Pander

Return to Feature requests